If your are interested in World Music, but don´t know where to start, I recommend you to start with a collection from any of the specialised record companies.
Please visit our sponsor. Without advertisement Vagamundos could not offer his travel experiences.
PUTUMAYO. In my opinion, the best record company, with music selected all over the world; the CD cases avoid the use of plastic, the designs are very nice and the information about the musicians is detailed.
- Putumayo Presents Kotoja: The Super-Sawale Collection
- Travel the world with Putumayo
- The best of world music
- Women of the world international
- One World (Putumayo)
- Putumayo Presents: Latino! Latino!
- Putumayo Presents A World Instrumental Collection
- Putumayo Presents Romantica
REAL WORLD. Peter Gabriel´s record company was one of the first and still one of the best mixing music from all over the world.
- Various Artists -Arcane
- Various Artists -Bliss
- Various Artists -Gathering
- Various Artists -Lament
- Various Artists -Passion Sources
- Various Artists -Plus From Us
- Various Artists -Voices Of The Real World
WORLD MUSIC NETWORK. The "music" version of one of the best selling travel guides, The Rough Guides.
- Various Artists - African Blues
- Various Artists - Best Of Africa
- Various Artists - Best Of Latin America
- Various Artists - Global Partnership II
- Various Artists - One Voice-Vocal
- Various Artists - Oxfam Salsa
- Various Artists - Rhythm-Time-World Percussion
- Various Artists -Rough Guide
- Various Artists -Unwired-Acoustic
- Various Artists -Unwired-Africa
This is a list of music that I consider essential if you want to know the music that is created around the world, by geographical area; Europe and America, except Brasil, are not included because they don´t produce much World Music. You will realize that Brazilian music is my favourite, because is a mix between african rithms, a beautiful language, portuguese, and the sensibility of a country that mainly has 2 passions: music and "futebol".
- Miriam Makeba - Mama Africa. The South Africa music "mother"
- Youssou N´dour - The Guide (Wommat). Music from Senegal with an european touch
- Salif Keita - The Mansa of Mali. a "white" black that makes black black music
- Manu Dibango - Wakafrica. The elegance of Jazz with an african touch
- Sheila Chandra - The Zen Kiss. A wonderful voice for a wonderful mix of indian, sefardi and pop music
- Dadawa - Sister Drum. The "Björk" from China, with tibetan touch, and a very special voice.
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Mustt Mustt. A Big Big musician from Pakistan
- Himekami - Moonwater. Japanese music with an "New Age" touch
BRASIL (Any record from the following artists)
- Antonio Carlos Jobim
- Marisa Monte
- Caetano Veloso
- Joao Gilberto
- Gilberto Gil
- Gal Costa
- Milton Nascemento
- Maria Creuza
- Chico Cesar
- Carlinhos Brown
- Chico Buarque
- Elis Regina
- Rosa Passos
- Tom Zé
- Baria Bethania
- Vinicious de Morais
- Ivan Lins
- Zizi Possi
- Manu Dibango&Cuarteto Patria - Cubafrica. African and Cuban music are twin brothers.
- Ketama - Shongai. Shongai 2. flamenco and Cora together with an amazing result.
- Afrocelt Sound System - Sound Magic. Release. Yo may not believe it, but celtic and african music mix together very well.
- Pangea - Eastwest World. Earth´s Simphony
- Beautiful World - In Existence. Forever. swhajili songs with a "new age" touch
- David Antony Clark - Before Africa. African New Age.
- Paul Winter - Prayer for the wild thing. Anthems. "Live" in Spain. One of the best musicians I ever met.
- Paul Winter - Brazilian days. Brazilian music with the Paul touch
- Peter Kater& Carlos Nakai - Natives. Music from the Northamerican native indians
Hope you will enjoy them, and if you have any recommendation about music, please send me a message from "Send him a message" section.
Published: 01/09/2002 14:09
All times are MET (GMT+1)
© Vagamundos.net, 2000-2002 • Contact
Production, design and