The quote: To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. (Aldous Huxley )
If your are interested in World Music, but don´t know where to start, I recommend you to start with a collection from any of the specialised record companies.
To co-operate with Vagamundos, please buy your music at:
. In my opinion, the best record company, with music selected all over the world; the CD cases avoid the use of plastic, the designs are very nice and the information about the musicians is detailed.
- Putumayo Presents Kotoja: The Super-Sawale Collection
- Travel the world with Putumayo
- The best of world music
- Women of the world international
- One World (Putumayo)
- Putumayo Presents: Latino! Latino!
- Putumayo Presents A World Instrumental Collection
- Putumayo Presents Romantica
. Peter Gabriel´s record company was one of the first and still one of the best mixing music from all over the world.
WORLD MUSIC NETWORK
- Various Artists -Arcane
- Various Artists -Bliss
- Various Artists -Gathering
- Various Artists -Lament
- Various Artists -Passion Sources
- Various Artists -Plus From Us
- Various Artists -Voices Of The Real World
. The "music" version of one of the best selling travel guides, The Rough Guides.
- Various Artists - African Blues
- Various Artists - Best Of Africa
- Various Artists - Best Of Latin America
- Various Artists - Global Partnership II
- Various Artists - One Voice-Vocal
- Various Artists - Oxfam Salsa
- Various Artists - Rhythm-Time-World Percussion
- Various Artists -Rough Guide
- Various Artists -Unwired-Acoustic
- Various Artists -Unwired-Africa
This is a list of music that I consider essential if you want to know the music that is created around the world, by geographical area; Europe and America, except Brasil, are not included because they don´t produce much World Music. You will realize that Brazilian music is my favourite, because is a mix between african rithms, a beautiful language, portuguese, and the sensibility of a country that mainly has 2 passions: music and "futebol".
- Miriam Makeba - Mama Africa. The South Africa music "mother"
- Youssou N´dour - The Guide (Wommat). Music from Senegal with an european touch
- Salif Keita - The Mansa of Mali. a "white" black that makes black black music
- Manu Dibango - Wakafrica. The elegance of Jazz with an african touch
- Sheila Chandra - The Zen Kiss. A wonderful voice for a wonderful mix of indian, sefardi and pop music
- Dadawa - Sister Drum. The "Björk" from China, with tibetan touch, and a very special voice.
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan - Mustt Mustt. A Big Big musician from Pakistan
- Himekami - Moonwater. Japanese music with an "New Age" touch
(Any record from the following artists)
- Antonio Carlos Jobim
- Marisa Monte
- Caetano Veloso
- Joao Gilberto
- Gilberto Gil
- Gal Costa
- Milton Nascemento
- Maria Creuza
- Chico Cesar
- Carlinhos Brown
- Chico Buarque
- Elis Regina
- Rosa Passos
- Tom Zé
- Baria Bethania
- Vinicious de Morais
- Ivan Lins
- Zizi Possi
- Manu Dibango&Cuarteto Patria - Cubafrica. African and Cuban music are twin brothers.
- Ketama - Shongai. Shongai 2. flamenco and Cora together with an amazing result.
- Afrocelt Sound System - Sound Magic. Release. Yo may not believe it, but celtic and african music mix together very well.
- Pangea - Eastwest World. Earth´s Simphony
- Beautiful World - In Existence. Forever. swhajili songs with a "new age" touch
- David Antony Clark - Before Africa. African New Age.
- Paul Winter - Prayer for the wild thing. Anthems. "Live" in Spain. One of the best musicians I ever met.
- Paul Winter - Brazilian days. Brazilian music with the Paul touch
- Peter Kater& Carlos Nakai - Natives. Music from the Northamerican native indians
Hope you will enjoy them, and if you have any recommendation about music, please send me a message from "Send him a message" section.
Published: 03/01/2008 00:00
Vagamundos.net • © Vagadamia, Carlos Olmo Bosco, 2001-2007